"tournaments" of only one round

Some of the members of your local club have a desire to play more rated games, and these include players who prefer longer time controls. The difficulty is, it seems very hard to get everyone to commit for an entire day to get in 3 or 4 games (let alone 2 days). I thought one solution may be to hold “tournaments” of only one round. Just enought entry fee to cover the rating, no prizes. There is quite some rating disparity between some of our members, and I thought there is a limit for matches between disparately rated players.

My question is, is this going to be legal (rateable)?

Could you try multi-week tournaments?
Do Swiss pairings with the people that are there. Alternatively, use 1vs2 pairings to keep the matchups interesting.
Submit them monthly and start over.

It doesn’t sound like these are matches, just one-round events.

As long as there are more than two players in a section, you shouldn’t run into problems with the validation software thinking this is a match and subject to match rules.

There is a minimum ratings fee of $3.00 for online submissions ($5.00 for events mailed to the USCF office) which could be triggered if there are not very many games to rate.

In brief, the match rules limit matches to players who have established ratings and who are rated no more than 400 points apart.

I second the suggestion to try running events that go for several weeks. Many clubs do this.

Around here, there are actually three different clubs that run “one game per week” Swiss format tournaments at time controls of G/90 or G/120 for 4 weeks. This leads to more players taking byes, as they miss a week here or there, but it’s still a good way to get people playing slow rated games at a local club on a regular basis. One of the clubs meets on Saturdays and alternates between tournaments of one game per week at G/120 and two games per week at G/75.

Thank you very much for everyone’s reply. Good food for thought.