2017 rulebook update posting

I have been notified that the rulebook changes document for 2017 is scheduled to be posted on-line at the US Chess website on 1-2-17. Also an updated Blitz and TD Certification rules update should be posted on that same date.

Thanks Tim

The updated rulebook document, uschess.org/docs/gov/reports … hanges.pdf, states that money floors are still for class or section prizes of U2000 or lower but a 2100 money floor was added.

The updated blitz rules document, uschess.org/docs/gov/reports … hanges.pdf, does not include the following statement that was added to the beginning of blitz rule 8: “Except as listed here, draw claims allowed under the regular rules are also allowed under the blitz rules.” Also, due to that new statement, rules 8a, 8b, 8c, and the first half of 8d are redundant and should have been eliminated.

Sooo no draws in blitz after eliminating 8a, 8b, 8c, and first half of 8d? :smiley: I recall somebody wanting every possible draw in blitz listed again…

No, just eliminating the redundancy due to the new statement that was added. Also, it’s strange to restate some of the ways a game can end in a draw in both regular and blitz chess in the blitz rules but not all of them. It’s best to either list all of them or not list any of them and go with the statement “Except as listed here, draw claims allowed under the regular rules are also allowed under the blitz rules”.

What I wanted was for it to be made clear in the blitz rules weather “insufficient material to continue”, “triple occurrence of position”, “the 50-move rule”, and “director declares draw for lack of progress” exist under US Chess blitz rules since they were not mentioned in the blitz rules as ways the game can end in a draw and there was disagreement among TD’s whether these draws existed under US Chess blitz rules. The new statement “Except as listed here, draw claims allowed under the regular rules are also allowed under the blitz rules” makes it clear that these draws do exist under the US Chess blitz rules.

Editor’s Note:
Most of the US Chess rules for regular and quick chess also apply to blitz chess. This chapter covers the rules that are different for blitz and also restates some of the fundamental rules that apply to all three forms of chess and that are important to blitz. (emphasis mine)

I know, I wrote that note! However, I don’t think it’s necessary state that the game can end in a draw in blitz by stalemate, agreement, etc. right after the statement “Except as listed here, draw claims allowed under the regular rules are also allowed under the blitz rules.”

Well, others have disagreed with you.

Let it go grasshopper, let it go… :laughing:

This should be fixed. All it would take is one chess lawyer who took top prize in a big-money U-2100 section to challenge the rating floor that resulted from the result. (It is also not good that at least the last two editions of the rulebook gave incorrect information on money floors and rating floors in general.)

When the money floor minimum was changed to $4,000 last year, did the EB deliberately change the upper limit for such floors from 2000 to 2100? Or is that one of those things that sort of slipped into the motion?

As far as I can tell, the originator of the motion thought there was already a 2100 money floor Here is the original motion.

"Moved,

1.) that the money-based floors in the rating system be reset to $4,000 for the 1400-1500-1600-1700-1800-1900-2000 and 2100 levels.

2.) That any player, retroactive to Oct 1, 2015, who earned between $2,000 and $3999.99 and was given a money based floor be reset back to their actual achieved rating after that tournament and all subsequent tournaments be re-rated

3.) The $4000 limit will then take effect for the rest of US Chess starting April 1, 2016 and be advertised in Chess life and an e-mail blast to TDs and Affiliates."

Also, the motion didn’t state anything about changing the money floor threshold for 1300 or lower (as the rating system document states, “floors based on cash prizes can be at any 100-point level, not just the ones above based on peak rating.”) but it seems they were changed to $4000.

That statement for rule 8 is now included. IMHO: rules 8a, 8b, … the “powers that be” need to change/eliminate them (Delegates).

Thanks Tim. Do you know if the statement about money floors is going to be fixed soon?

I believe that was a copy-paste from a source above my pay grade. So, the fix will probably need to come from there also.

Source EB16-038: Moved,
1.) that the money-based floors in the rating system be reset to $4,000
for the 1400-1500-1600-1700-1800-1900-2000 and 2100 levels.
2.) That any player, retroactive to October 1, 2015, who earned between
$2,000 and $3,999.99 and was given a money based floor be reset back
to their actual achieved rating after that tournament and all subsequent
tournaments be re-rated.
3.) The $4,000 limit will then take effect for the rest of US Chess
starting April 1, 2016 and be advertised in Chess Life and an e-mail blast
to TDs and Affiliates. PASSED 4-3 with Anjelina Belakovskaia, Ruth
Haring and Gary Walters opposed.

I am sending a revised on-line 1-1-17 Rules Changes document to the office to reflect this motion and the subsequent elimination of “…and 2100” levels. I have no control over the http://glicko.net/ratings/rating.system.pdf document.

Someone should check to see if the Board’s intent was to change the 1200 and 1300 money prize floors as well. (1200 and 1300 floors were added several years ago.)

The Millionaire Open was probably the event that led to increasing the money prize floors, and I believe it is now discontinued.

As well as money floors at 1100 and below as money floors can be at any 100 point level. It’s sad we had a board trying to make changes to the money floor policy without knowing exactly how the current money floor policy worked.

The Millionaire Open showed the silliness of the whole idea.

I see that back in 2010, Bill Goichberg claimed that money prize floors have never had a lower limit, and that appears to be consistent with the 2006 motion that increased the money prize floors from a $1000 threshold to $2000. (As I recall, there were money prize floors for class/sections higher than 2000 at some point, but the 2006 motion makes it clear that 2000 is the upper ratings limit for money prize floors.)

I don’t know when the original money prize floors policy was passed.

However, until the Millionaire, there may not have been any events awarding large enough prizes to trigger the money prize floor policy for class prizes lower than 1400.

First prize in the Under 1200 Section at this year’s World Open is $4,000.

How does it work if the player would have won that prize but it is limited due to one of the restrictions CCA has…

Prize limits: 1) If any post-event rating posted 6/26/16-6/26/17 was more than 30 points over section maximum, prize limit $2000. 2) Players with under 26 lifetime games rated as of 7/17 official list cannot win over $1000 in U1200, $2000 U1400, $3000 U1600 through U2000. Games rated too late for 7/17 official list not counted toward 26 game total. 3) Balance of any limited prize goes to next player(s) in line.

I assume they are not prize floored since they didn’t win at least $4000 but that is only due to a technicality.