Blitz time controls

In theory, G/3 inc/2 should last about the same amount of time as G/5 without delay. In practice . . . well, in practice, I’ve seen slower increment games run more than an hour past the time they were meant to end. How much wiggle room must be allowed around each game in a G/3 inc/2 blitz tournament?

First, I need to say that I have no direct experience running a G/3 inc/2 tournament, so take what I write with a considerable quantity of salt.

I would actually be surprised if a majority of G/3 inc/2 games actually last a full ten minutes. Remember, it will take 60 moves to accumulate two minutes of increment time. How many blitz games actually last 60 moves?

Let’s say the game somehow actually lasts 90 moves (which I would think is highly unusual). Then each player would have accumulated three minutes of increment time, so the total time for the game could be as long as twelve minutes, instead of ten.

It’s true that a slow time control game with increment can run significantly longer than expected. I think that’s because it is not an entirely unreasonable proposition to play a move every 30 seconds or so and basically “live off the increment” for quite a few moves. I remember watching an expert playing a G/90 inc/30 game live off the increment for maybe an hour and a half, and it was actually a rather exciting game. But I think blitz is different; for me, it’s hard to imagine making decent quality moves in two seconds and avoiding a blunder (or an illegal move) that would bring the game crashing down.

So, in the absence of any direct experience, I would guess that the time for the round ought to be about the same for G/5 d/0 or G/3 inc/2.

As an aside, I’m a bit surprised to hear that players prefer G/3 inc/2 to G/5 d/0. I suppose that the two second increment could lead to players blitzing off moves and pounding the clock for quite some time. But, I would think the more likely outcome is that the game is over in fewer than 60 moves, and the players actually have less time for the game.

There are a lot of players that will always use up their time and get into time trouble (relatively speaking, seeing as we are already talking about a blitz game). Using up almost 4 minutes for the first 30 moves and still having two seconds per move is better for them than using up almost 5 minutes for the first 30 moves and having to move in split seconds.

Games going over 60 moves could still take less time in those positions where one player has a straightforward win and it is just a matter or whether or not it can be won before the flag fall. Once an extra 20 seconds is accumulated the opponent is more likely to simply resign.

With G/3 inc/2 (which I really enjoy as a player btw…it’s a different feel than G/5 d/0…), your “time unit” isn’t necessarily a game but a match. Many blitz tournaments run on a match system where each pairing plays two games so things are balanced. At minimum it’s psychologically balanced if the colors don’t actually make a difference.

Assume that sets and boards aren’t provided and players have to move their gear. So your unit of time is a function of Game 1 + Game 2 + TD Results Entry + Pairing & setup for next round. You’re looking at roughly a 30-35min cycle at 60 moves per game (12min + 12min + 3min + 5min = 32min). Having established times on a 30min cycle allows you to schedule a 5-10min break in the middle of a 5-6 round tournament. Top and bottom of the hour is intuitive for players. Any rounds that end ahead of schedule can either give extra breaks or get started earlier as a hedge or guarantee for the schedule.

So, setting other variables aside, you estimate 12 minutes to complete a G/3, inc/2 game?

(Also, I’m not sure that 12 + 12 + 5 + 10 = 29 . . . :slight_smile: )

Yes. 12min is actually a cushion with a 60 move game (2min cushion per game), but the players have to set up the board for the second game as well. I agree with others that most games end much sooner. Math is updated. I knew that looked wrong when I hit publish but had to address other things.

I prefer G/5;+2 for most of my blitz tournaments. I can do four double rounds in two hours.

Alex Relyea