Changes to FIDE Rating Regulations

Some changes that went into effect July 1, 2011:

Doesn’t this also mean that you don’t need 9 games to have your rating published? Now apparently you can just show up at the tournament and get your rating-- a novel idea!

I’m confused about the second item. Previously, for unrated players, a tournament counted toward the player’s rating if the player faced three rated opponents and scored at least 1.0 against those players. Does this now mean that once a player has one such result, then all games in FIDE rated tournaments against rated players will count toward the rating? For instance, in a later tournament, the player meets only one FIDE rated player and loses that game. That will still count toward the unrated player’s rating?

Has the online FIDE handbook been updated with these changes?

I was given a pointer by private message. Indeed, the FIDE rating regulations have been updated, and article 8.21 is quite explicit in answering my question:

No that’s not accurate. You still need 9 games for a published rating. This regulation change will allow a player, after they have gained their initial 3 game performance, to pick up additional games one at a time instead of in a minimum of 3 game clumps.

Even if it is not new, do not forget that a draw offer is to be recorded on the score sheet. The proper notation is (=).

Larry S. Cohen

While we’re on the subject, has anyone ever written up a “field guide” to aid USCF players in adapting to FIDE rules? Just something that points out the biggest, most common differences that USCF players should be aware of before entering their first FIDE event, such as the above tip, or the fact that the king has to be touched first when castling.

I’m planning to play in my first FIDE tournament next month, so I could use the pointers. Thanks.

I’ve heard that some IAs/NTDs used to do so but stopped when the difference began significantly exceeding 20.

I was really just looking for the big, obvious stuff. Like the tourney I’m playing in will have a 30 second increment, so I believe I’m required to keep score to the end, even below 5 minutes, unlike what I’m used to in USCF tournies. I think I know most of the bigger things, just from spending too much time cruising these forums, even though I’m not a TD or anything, so I’m sure I’ll be OK. I’m really more worried about how poorly I’ll play than any rules I may inadvertently “bend”. :stuck_out_tongue:

But thinking about this thread does make me wonder if that second rule change will apply to me in the not too distant future. Like most USCF members, I’ve never played in a FIDE event simply because in the US, they tend to be master sections of bigger tournaments or other high level events, and I’m not good enough to play at that level. The one I’m going to next month is a relatively lower level event where me and my 1700 rating should stand a chance of scoring a point or two in 5 rounds.

I was originally thinking that this would be my chance to get a provisional FIDE rating, but then I’d have to wait until another such tournament came along before I could make my FIDE rating official. But with the new rule change, I could just enter the Open section of a bigger weekend Swiss where the top section is FIDE rated. Then, even in the highly likely scenario that I lose every game, that would put me over 9 FIDE rated games. With the old rule of needing to score for the event to be FIDE rated for me, I’d never have considered doing that for a FIDE rating before. But I do occasionally “play up” for the challenge, so this is one more factor to consider in deciding which section to enter at bigger tournaments.

That’s true in USCF events, too. (If there is a 30-second increment, scorekeeping is required even below 5 minutes.) And 30-second increment is becoming common in USCF events, even those not also FIDE-rated.

Is there a prescribed penalty (FIDE) for omitting the “=” notation when a draw is offered?

Bill Smythe

Article 9.1.b.2 of the Laws of Chess simply reads:

Appendix C describes algebraic notation, and C.13 states only:

The sample game given immediately after C.13 suggests that the parentheses are in fact part of the notation of a draw offer.

There’s a decent list of differences between the FIDE Laws of Chess and the USCF Official Rules of Chess in the July 1, 2013 thread in this forum.

Of course, Bill Smythe is correct that you are required to keep score at all times according to USCF rules as well if there is an increment of at least 30 seconds. Note, however, that if there isn’t an increment of at least 30 seconds, according to the Laws of Chess, when one player has less than five minutes remaining in the time control, the opponent must continue to record moves.

Generally, I would not worry much about the difference between USCF and FIDE rules. Although this is not the way it is supposed to be, it is very likely your FIDE rated tournament will just use the USCF rules. In fact, if the TD is not also a FIDE arbiter (FA) or international arbiter (IA), there is no a priori reason to assume the TD even knows the differences between the two sets of rules. However, if the tournament does follow FIDE rules, here are two important differences to note.

1. Turn your cell phone off (completely off, not just set to vibrate). If your cell phone makes noise, you will forfeit the game.
  2. Don’t be late for the round. Article 6.6.a states: “Any player who arrives at the chessboard after the start of the session shall lose the game. Thus the default time is 0 minutes. The rules of a competition may specify otherwise.” (This is the so-called “zero tolerance” rule.)

All it takes for this last rule is pre-tournament publicity and the organizer can set their own standard for this. Something like “USCF lateness rules in effect” should suffice nicely. This rule has its own built-in variance to allow changes.

One of the first chances many US players will get to play with increments and under FIDE rules will be at the Manhattan Open, which will have 40/90 SD/30 +30 in the Open section and I hear playing under FIDE rules as well.

Mike

Mike, you don’t say. Arbiters will be calling flags at the Manhattan Open, really? Forfeiting when a second late (I don’t see advance publicity saying otherwise)? Is that from the time a pairing sheet is pinned to the wall? Don’t be joking.

Increment time control is one thing and many clubs and tournaments in the US have been using the increment for years (except CCA tournaments). Playing under FIDE rules is a different kettle of fish.

Those are the standards now, FIDE rules for Norm tournaments. FIDE rules also say that players can call flags so it is a shared responsibility. CCA has their tournament rules posted which say USCF lateness are in effect and I hope they add that to the tournament site, but I don’t expect zero tolerance to be followed because that FIDE rule even allows variances. I trust you are joking when you referred to the point the pairings are posted, that would be a fast event, forfeit everyone.

New York open used to be run under FIDE rules and it wasn’t impossible to do.

Carol was hired to do Manhattan Open and I’m sure the TDs will be familiar with clocks and rules by then.

Mike

I’m glad to hear this. It eliminates some potentially troublesome issues at US norm events.

Good thing I bought myself a DGT. I’ll need to learn the ins and outs of that particular clock.

Setting 14 will be your friend on the DGT NA…

I’ve been able to set the DGT NA just using trial and error and without having a manual available. Just which DGT you purchased may make a difference in ease of use.

I didn’t read the manual to it… it was easier playing around with the clock itself…