correspondence Tournaments

just wondering exactly how correspondence tournaments work. I looked on the web page but I am still a little used on us what happens after you purchase the tournament entry from the website store.

From the USCF website: http://www.uschess.org/cc/corcwork.php

GETTING STARTED IS EASY!
You choose which event you wish to enter (You’ve already done that). You can play against one opponent, three opponents, or even six opponents. (You’ve chosen to play against three [a 4-player quad]) Tournament entry fees vary depending on the tournament format and the prizes involved.

For example, let’s assume you’re already a USCF member and you want to enter a Class Tournament in which you play against three opponents. (That’s the maximum we recommend for beginners.) Once you submit your entry fee (currently $10), we pair you with three other players with the same playing strength, according to the approximate strength you indicated on your entry form.

All four of you are sent a copy of the same pairing sheet. Players are given numbers 1 through 4, and playing assignments are noted accordingly. The pairing sheet includes the name and addresses of your three opponents, as well as a tournament crosstable (explanation below). You will play a total of six games – two against each of your three opponents, once as White and once as Black. After receiving the pairing sheet, note what player number you are assigned. Refer to the pairing chart and see whether or not you have to mail your first White moves to any of your opponents.

Please check the website again. It seems to be quite informative and should answer your questions.

-Terry

thank you for the information. I registered over a week ago and still have not received the pairing sheet. Do you know how long they usually takes. They send it by e-mail right?

thank you for your patience

USCF is a bit slow on everything these days. But it shouldn’t be too much longer. It could be that they haven’t goten 3 other players for you yet. I don’t know. As I said, I’ve no exp. with CC. Maybe contact USCF directly if it is taking too long, though I don’t think “over a week ago” is really that long.

Any Correspondence players here can lend some help?

Regards and good luck in your games,

-Terry

thanks for your time and advice. I will wait a while longer and see what happens. I was just wondering.

In the CC is there anything you can do to be sure an opponent wont use his/her computer?

Feb. 27, 2004
Hello,
Once we receive your entry from our online store it is processed. As soon as we have enough players to complete the pairings they are mailed or emailed depending on which type of event you entered.

You can always email the CC Department directly at cchess@uschess.org to inquire as to the status of your entry.

Joan DuBois, Correspondence Chess Director at USCF

The 5th edition of the rules state explicitly that a player can not use
a computer program to evaluate a game, but can use one for record
keeping. Is there a way to be sure an opponent isn’t using a chess
engine for analysis? No, and there isn’t really a way to enforce a rule
banning them which is why places like the ICCF do not have a rule.

About the only way you could tell if you opponent used an engine
would be in post-mortem analysis to analyse the game yourself with
an engine. Even then it would be hard to come up with conclusive
proof. There are always arguments on the correspondence chess
message board http://www.correspondencechess.com/bbs/
about the use of computers and how much they really help.

I’m curious after reading the 5th edition rules regarding this, does
anyone know if it is legal in USCF CC to consult a game database?
It states it is okay to consult books and periodicals, but doesnt mention
databases.