Online chess vendors?

I need a new scorepad soon, and I’m not going to be attending any major events with a book vendor for a few months, so I want to mail order one. I was also thinking of buying a particular chess book, so I figured I’d buy them together to combine the shipping. Unfortunately, amazon.com doesn’t carry chess scorebooks, and the two chess sales sites I’ve tired (the official USCF site and chesshouse.com) don’t have the book I want, which is surprising, since it’s a recent and popular book.

So does anyone have any recommendations for other online US chess vendors I could try?

–Fromper

Would email do? Contact Fred Lindsay of Lindsay’s Chess Supplies at fplindsay@aol.com.
He should be able to get you just about anything.

Chess4less for books and DVDs.
ChessUSA for sets.
fredwilsonchess.com for used chess books.

All of these three give EXCELLENT service.

I recommend wholesalechess.com. They have super fast service and very competitive prices. They are also great for bulk buyers, e.g. those buying multiple items etc for a tournament or class (the more you buy, the cheaper it is per item). I have used them several times and the service has been great every time.

I bought some supplies at American Chess Equipment, and was satisfied with my purchase.

I bought a tourny kit for a friend’s grandson who was just getting into chess. (He’s on the school chess team).

The bag was kind of odd: it only had 1 strap in which the bag hangs verticle. (instead of the expected handle in the middle like the old days). Turns out its actually a shoulder strap. It doesn’t have any other handle on it. Guess thats what the kids like nowadays.

Anyway, I got a couple scorepads, a triple weight chess set, roll up board and a digital clock. Didn’t take too long to arrive either. Think only a few days.

I’ve used Wholesalechess.com with great results. 1/2 the time they run free shipping specials and still give you prompt service. (unlike Amazon that takes a few days to a week longer if you choose the free shipping option).

For a tournament set I prefer the House of Staunton Collectorers 4" plastic pieces. They are (by the name) plastic replicas of their most popular wooden set. They are tall and elegant but heavy on the bottom so they don’t tip easily. I use these with a “mousepad” board that I purchased from wholesalechess.com . YOu can get the HOS pieces from houseofstaunton.com or wholesalechess.com. I bought mine from HOS through an ebay auction with a wooden set as well.

I’ve also been quite satisfied with wholesalechess.com. Their piece replacement policy works well. I’ve replaced several pawns (lost by kids at tournaments) and purchased several spares at the same time. Whenever I buy, I always look there first.

I like to support Americans who do things the old-fashioned way wherever possible. I don’t have much experience buying chess things, but chesshouse.com seems pretty much like the way things should be. I had occasion to call them (I was changing an order) and I got a good old-fashioned American on the line. They are going the extra mile to offer free shipping and good prices. So, I give them my custom. Maybe other merchants are also doing things the old-fashioned way-- but also, they are specialized on chess. So, that’s another reason. I had the impression that the people there actually know things about the game.

I would suggest Cajun Chess out of New Orleans (cajunchess.com). They have several scorebooks (spiral-bound and hardcover), in addition to a very large selection of equipment & books: both new and used. If you don’t see something that you want, odds are it’s just not on the website yet–so just call the owner/operator, Mrs. Jean Troendle, and ask. Excellent & prompt shipping, great prices & quality, and some of the most personal customer service you’ll find anywhere. For these reasons, that’s why I promote this site at any programs I teach, and it’s also a reason I enjoy working as a Tournament Director for many of their events.