Revised on-line rulebook now posted

I have been advised by US Chess that a revised copy of the on-line rulebook has been posted. Many of the suggested changes come from Micah Smith–thanks Micah. Below is a list of the current on-line and non-online (print/e-book only) changes since 1-1-20:

https://new.uschess.org/news/7th-edition-rule-book-chapters-now-available-download-2/

Changed typo in Chapter one graphic (“Official”)

Revise tip 14h2.

For 16B2 Added new tip.

16B2c Revised TD Tip.

30G: New TD TIP

39A Added another See Also:

39A Revised tip.

42B is in italics—got rid of Italics.

Tip for 42E1: (revised tip).

Do you have a link to the updated online edition of the rulebook? I can’t find it.

And neither can I. I have contacted my US Chess staffer to see what gives. An e-mail from them made it appear the new files were posted; yet, I can’t find them?

US Chess fixed it–https://new.uschess.org/news/7th-edition-rule-book-chapters-now-available-download-2/

https://new.uschess.org/news/7th-edition-rule-book-chapters-now-available-download-2/

Thanks Tim for helping get this done, I really appreciate it (now only if I could convince you to make my suggested changes to the TD Tips after 5C :slight_smile:)

I see the end of rule 16B2c was changed to say:

“For more information on delay or increment clocks see Chapter 4, Equipment Standards; 5F, Standard Timer; 35F5, Special clock; 42B, Digital clocks; 42D, Delay clock preferable; and 42E, Increment clock preferable in increment time controls.”

The title of 42D is missing the “in sudden death” at the end. However, it would probably be best to delete this reference to 42D because: 1) rule 42D was essentially deleted (all it currently says after the title is “See rule 5F2, Standard timer for delay time controls”) and 2) the title of 42D isn’t completely accurate.

I would also change the term “delay or increment clocks” to “digital clocks” since a number of the references talk about digital clocks in general, including those without delay and increment capability.

Here is how the first TD Tip after rule 14H2 was changed.

This change makes it more clear that if a delay capable clock is set without the delay for a game with a delay time control, this is handled by rule 16P1 which states “If a delay- or increment-capable clock is used at an event with a delay or increment time control and the delay or increment is not set, this is handled in the same fashion as an erroneously set clock. The delay or increment should be set for the remainder of the game. The director should use his or her best judgement when determining the clock settings.”

Here is how the first TD Tip after rule 16B2c was changed.

The reference to the digital clock link was removed since this link doesn’t exist and the term “delay or increment clocks” was changed to “digital clocks” to include those without delay and increment capability and to make it consistent with the term used in rule 5F7 and the majority of the rulebook.

Does that mean TDs are expected to know how to set all non-digital clocks?

The rules continue to ignore the fact that, in an increasing number of tournaments, the organizer furnishes clocks for all boards. Thus, there is an increasing need for future editions of the rulebook to acknowledge this possibility, even to the extent of having separate sets of clock rules for the two possibilities.

Maybe something like this:

[b]In a tournament (or section) where the organizer furnishes clocks for all boards, the organizer (or designated arbiters and/or assistants) should know how to set the clocks furnished, and be able to make mid-game time adjustments and/or move-count corrections as necessary. At all times during the round, there must be at least one arbiter available who has the knowledge to set and adjust the furnished clocks as the need arises.

In a tournament (or section) where players furnish the clocks, the player who furnishes the clock should know how to set the clock and make mid-game time adjustments and/or move-count corrections as necessary. If an adjustment becomes necessary, and neither the arbiter nor the player who has furnished the clock knows how to make the adjustment, the opponent may offer to furnish a replacement clock and adjust it appropriately. If the opponent cannot furnish a clock or cannot adjust it appropriately, the arbiter should use judgment in deciding on a course of action.

TD Tip: For example, if a player is entitled to have two minutes added to his time, but is unable or unwilling to adjust the clock accordingly, the arbiter may direct that the game continue without the two minutes added.[/b]

Bill Smythe

I would argue that if the organizer is providing clocks (presumably the same model of clock for all games), it is the responsibility of any chief TD worth his or her salt to ensure the entire TD staff knows how to set the clocks and to make adjustment – including the back room staff, as they may be helping out on the floor when the back room is not busy to give other TDs a break.

The idea here is that if all players are required to use tournament-furnished clocks then the staff is required to know how to set the clocks? As opposed to the TD having clocks either available for use or when the directors place a limited number of clocks on remaining boards when enough are available.

It makes sense to me that if the tournament is providing a clock at all that there are staff available and ready to set them. Or an even broader, “whomever provides a clock to a board at any point is to be knowledgeable in how to set it.”

When a tournament has enough staff I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume every single staff member knows how to set a clock. Registration desk? Scorers at a scoring table? Food service? These people are generally not TDs. I’d even question if a non-TD floor proctor should do so, but that’s more taste. But there should always be someone on floor ready and able to do so, and such a person shouldn’t leave the floor without knowing who is on the floor to address clocks, sure. Maybe something more simple, “Whomever provides a clock to a board during a tournament (a player, tournament staff, or any other party) is responsible for being aware how to set and adjust the provided clock.” And if needed a TD Tip might advise directors and players to use caution when accepting donations of other players clocks to a board.

The other big unaddressed question is what is the penalty for staff not knowing how to set or have someone available? I suppose the standard, it just opens the door for a player to open a legitimate grievance with Ethics or TD Certification.

I don’t know if it’s already been covered, and I apologize if it is… but is there any current guidance on the world of clocks and how to set them (maybe a TD show episode)? (Like a TD instruction course, and since I’m wishing with both video and written materials?) And if not, have I just opened my big mouth to volunteer for that?

I specifically stated “TD staff”, not “tournament staff.”

bump