TDs over their Heads

Would submitting a complaint of a TD directing something he SHOULD NOT have according the the rules and the event being run badly be sent to the TDCC or elsewhere.
Would the complaint be against the TD(s) or the organizer.
Furthermore would the blaim and penalty if any go to the TD or the organizer?
We have several parents/coaches complaining about a scholastic that had over 250 players run by 2 local TDs and a club TD.

Joshua,

The rules allow attendance extensions for computer assisted TDs. If I’m not mistaken, two locals and a club TD, with computer assistance, would be allowable for the number you list.

As to responsiblity for the running of the event, the TDs have that charge, I believe.

Has there been any attempt at resolving the issues locally? Unless there’s gross misconduct or ineptitude on the part of the TD or player interests have been damaged in some way, USCF may simply charge the processing fee and take no action based on frivolousness.

Are there more details you can post?

Terry Winchester
Evansville, IN

How can 2 locals and a club, even with computer support, direct 250 unless it was broken down into 3 separate events with 100, 100, and 50 players?

As I read it, you need someone certified to the number of the event, not just a section. The type of problem you see in a 25 player event is significantly different that a 500 player event. Terry, you are implying that you could get 10 club TDs and that they together can be the co-Chief TD of that event since they each get 50 players.

I think that your TD’s overstepped their limits, UNLESS 1 of them had a HS event, 1 had a middle school event, and 1 had a primary event and they were located together but run separately. (Weak excuse; they still are being organzied as 1 event and should have someone experienced in that size of a group.)

According to the TD Certification Rules at
uschess.org/tds/new06tdcerti … nrules.pdf

1. Co-Chief TD.
    In unusual circumstances two directors may jointly function as co-Chief TDs. Each cochief
    receives USCF credit for one tournament with one-half the total number of entries.

If both Local TDs had computer assistance and the event was not expected to draw over 240 players, a slightly larger event of 250 players would be OK.

The place to start would be discussions with the tournament organizer/affiliate and the TDs about the perceived problems and how they could be addressed. Almost every large scholastic chess tournament is a learning opportunity for everyone. It is healthy to discuss things and plan on improvements the next time around. Personally, I like to write lists of recommendations to address specific stated issues after events that didn’t go as gracefully as expected.

Just griping about everything and wanting someone’s head on a stick is unproductive and will accomplish nothing positive. Be a part of the solution, not part of a bigger problem brought about by negativity.

If things don’t significantly improve (that’s not to say perfection should be expected the next time), then elevating a complaint to the USCF may be in order, if there are clear violations of specific USCF rules of chess requirements of the organizing affiliate and/or the TD. Otherwise, your only recourse is to choose tournaments put on by others to participate in.

If there are no others putting on tournaments, then you have a lot of incentive to help the folks currently willing. Your only other option would be to become an organizer and find or grow the TDs you need.

Mike Swatek
Senior TD

1. Limitations. A local TD may not be the chief TD for Category N tournaments and should not be the chief TD of Category A or B tournaments, which includes any tournament, or section of a tournament, expected to draw more than 100 players. Computer-assisted local TDs can be the chief TD of any tournament, or section of a tournament, expected to draw up to 120 players with the aid of one assistant TD.

A better question might be, what do you do if your tournament attracts more players than anticipated? Do you send players home?

Maybe that is why the above says “SHOULD NOT” and not “MAY NOT”

Was this a scholastic event? They are notorious for not being able to predict turnout.

Regardless, “a man’s got to know his limitations.” - Dirty Harry

Were the problems experienced due to the volume of players? Or, were they due to TD incompetence? If there had been no problems, would anyone have complained?

I think the number of players involved is irrelevent. If there are 500 players involved and there is only one TD running it (unlikely), but the tournament is run well, who cares. If there are 20 players involved and there is only one TD, but the tournament is run poorly, that should be the basic concern.

Terry,

TDC Rule 11 allows exception to rule 28 in “unusual circumstances”, effectively dividing the event in two, in terms of TD responsibility, so the TDs don’t exceed their limitations.

If the event was “expected” to only draw 120 or less and was twice the expected size, a single Local TD could even direct the event withing the rules. The USCF does not expect an event to be cancelled because the TD’s limitation has been unexpectedly exceeded. On the other hand, this 250 player event if repeated should plan on having a Senior TD the next time. If none are available, then “unusual circumstances” could still allow for two Local TDs to Co-Chief TD the event.

At the end of the day, JonH has made a good point. I know a Local TD that could gracefully handle the Chief TD role for 240 player events, and I suspect that many Senior TDs would really struggle with the same event. The very capable Local TD needs to advance and will do so soon. Meanwhile, some Senior TDs really do need to understand their limitations.

Player/parent satisfaction may ultimately have little to do with how the TD performed, and a lot to do with how the organizer handled their separate and very important role.

Cheers,

Mike

In the years that I have been involved with the TDCC as the chair, and as a member, I have observed that TDs get suspended for (1) rating reports being late, not turned in, or inaccurate and (2) not forwarding membership and rating fees. Almost any other infraction meets with a warning and some suggestions on how to improve as a TD.

In this case it has not been made clear if the TDs or the affiliate (or both) are responsible for what may have happened at this event.

TDs sometimes arrive at tournaments only to find that the affiliate/organizer wrongly assumed the TD would be able to enter and check all pre-entries the day of the event, set up the playing room, enter players at the door (a seldom workable idea at scholastics with many players), do the accounting, work the floor, do the trophy presentations, clean up, …

When the affiliate does take care of everything perfectly I have also seen TDs start rounds late, collect results poorly, make bad floor decisions based on poor rules knowledge, hand in the results late, not take care of membership issues, post wallcharts late…

However, like Jon points out, if the event is run well the organizer and the TDs have their act together and the problem of TDs in over their heads is moot. I also suspect if the event is run well the TDs are picking up a lot of TD credit and will be on the fast track to Senior TD status.

When events go South the blame seems to get spread all over the place, including to TDs certified below the level of the event they directed.

Mike Nolan and I have talked over the years about his creating a program to check if TDs are directing the right size events for their certification level and having automatic warning letters issued if need be. I suspect there are a few more immediate (and probably important) projects higher on his “to do” list.

So just what was it about this event that you feel could have been improved?

Tim Just
Chair TDCC

Rob,

I didn’t intend to imply that; I apologize. I meant to convey that with the number of TDs present, in this case, there shouldn’t be a problem since all three of these TDs can work together to solve problems for the whole tournament. I consider it a factor that two local TDs have taken tests in order to receive their certification, and therefore are probably sufficient to run this event together.

Ah yes, but don’t forget: “Improvise. Adapt. Overcome” - Gunnery Sgt. Tom ‘Gunny’ Highway

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Just to clarify my earlier post, I most definately agree that if the event was anticipated to only draw 120 or so, then there is no problem for exceeding rating levels.

I also agree with Terry that several TD’s together SHOULD be able to handle this size tournament.

Having said that, if they anticipate the same size next year, they should get a Senior TD.

The funny part is that I am confident that I could be the chief TD of a 200 ADULT player tournament with no problems that I can not handle. However, I would never tackle a 120 player SCHOLASTIC tournament without 1 (preferably 2) other TDs. I’ve had more director intervention in a single K-8 section than the rest of my non scholastic tournaments combined. Heck, I’ve had more director intervention in a single K-8 ROUND than all of the other tournaments!!! :laughing:

I guess that we agree that the rules give guidelines, and if everything goes well, no one will care how you did it.

Ding!? Ding!? Ding!? We have a winner!!! In fact somone might want to print this out for them.

Tim

Nobody in this thread has said anything about whatever it was that went wrong at the tournament.

When things run smoothly, nobody cares – or even knows, because they’d have to look it up – whether the TDs are national, local, club, or apprentice-to-an-aspiring-part-time-quack. If things go badly, well, I’ve known a few club TDs that are better than a few NTDs.

Don’t overestimate the value of multiple TDs at a tournament. If they’ve never worked together before, serious problems could result – too many chiefs, and all that.

Bill Smythe

Ok a little Deeper on the subject.

The Chief TD was also the Organizer.
The complaints from parents were that rounds started hour(s) late. People were paired in the wrong sections and never fixed despite complaints and then refunds were not issued. Decisions on the floor were completely random and often overturned by the next higher director only to be overturned again (or totally changed from both decisions) once a spectator pointed out the rule in the USCF rule book to the TD.

The event drew over 300 players last year so they expected the 250+ that showed up this year.
The Chief TD barely passed his local test with help from a former Senior TD that corrected it for him.
What people are asking is are there actions they can take to get this person away from organizing/directing or do people have to learn the hard way not to trust this TD/Organizer from having this bad experience happen again and again.

OK so we have a guy who is apparently known to have cheated to qualify for his Local TD cert., deciding to run a tournament beyond his cert. level. His assistants are just as incompetent as he is, or worse.

Heck if he’s a good organizer who makes money, he should hire someone else to TD. The tournament would get a better reputation, and in the long run he’d make at least as much money while avoiding what must be an unpleasant experience of making lots of mistakes.

A good way to handle this type of TD is to publically name him. The TD is honor-bound to not discuss with anyone his test questions before taking the test, let alone receive assistance. If this TD barely passed even with the “former” Senior’s assistance, he certainly isn’t qualified to direct, in my opinion.

Shame on him, shame on the Senior who assisted.

If you have proof (and this you must to avoid slander) that this TD received assistance on his test, why not name him?

Listening

I’m wondering if I know this person.

A parent or kid at the tournament needs to send in a complaint on this one with documentation and details to the USCF office. I suspect the “good faith” fee will be returned or waived.

They can contact me via e-mail for more info on the details.

Tim Just
Chair TDCC

I am one of the coaches for a school who attended this tournament. I also know the organizer/TD in question; though, I will not name him as the accusations about him “cheating” on the TD certification sheet is something new to me.

I was notified of this situation and effectively what occured, specifically, was my team wanted their K3 players to enter into the K5 section. All parents who filled out entry forms checked K5 as the section for their children. I vouch for this kids that K5 was an appropriate placement for them as well. The TDs informed parent sponsors on my team, I was not at the event but other coaches were, that their children were put in K3. There was never a reason discussed as to why this switch was made.

The parents, and a coach present at the tournament, complained that the children were placed inappropriately according to where each child wanted to play. Initially, the organizer(s) and TDs told my team that it would take too long to re-pair the event or gave some equally anticlimactic excuse. The precise excuse was never given to me so I cannot say for sure what was said. Regardless, my team was told “no, you cannot play in K5” in one form or another.

My team them threatened to pull out of the tournament and asked for their entry fees back. They were refused their entry fees and, after 45 minutes to an hour the pairings were finally repaired.

Therefore, in the end the tournament was repaired but it started about an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half late (again, i wan’t there–I am just the reporter).

As far as the TDs directing a tournament that was “over their heads” with too many kids I do not know–I am not a TD myself (though i aspire to be one when i finish college). I’ll leave that question up to the experts; however, I hope everyone now has a context for which this event began to go awry from the coach of someone who was there. Do keep in mind this is a second hand account.

–KCA Vice President Ryan Velez

I hope some formal complaint and documentation from a player/coach/parent at the event is in the works. The TDCC does not have the resources to investigate second hand accounts of events run by unnamed TDs/organizers. I wish those resources did exist, but they do not. USCF committees have authority that is more like the courts, not the cops.

Tim