Updating SwissSys custom database with USCF files

Is there a simple way to update a custom database in SwissSys with a USCF file, similar to how WinTD can update master files?

What do you mean by “custom database” and how do you want to update it?

Alex Relyea

SwissSys allows you to create a custom database of players. In addition to the bare facts you need to run a rated tournament (name, ID, rating, Expiration Date) I keep phone numbers, grades, teams, email addresses, and mailing addresses in my database. By updating it, I mean updating ratings and expiration dates from the USCF supplement for those players in my database.

Is the above (directly from SwissSys help file, what you are looking for? You might have to save back out to your original custom database afterwards.

Thanks, but not quite. I wrote to Thad and he got right back to me. This is how it is done:

1. Make sure your custom database is set as the currently active one in the Database setup dialog. (You can keep both the USCF and your custom database handy by making one the primary database and the other your secondary database.)
  2. Load the entire database into a dummy section using Database|Load section from database.
  3. Switch to the USCF database as your current database.
  4. Click Database|Confirm ratings from database.
  5. Change back to your custom database in the Database setup dialog.
  6. Click Database|Write/Update database.

This is for version 9. I have version 8 so it is a little different, but easily figured out from the above. With version 8 you can do this with a custom database up to 1000 names. In version 9, 2000.