Withdraws from Round Robin Tournaments

I am confused on how to enter results into SwissSys when a player withdraws from a round robin tourney early. As an example, lets say you have a 9 round round-robin tourney consisting of 10 players. If a player leaves after round 6 with 3 games remaining unplayed, how do you record the results for his opponents and the offending player for these last 3 rounds? Do all those opponents being left with unplayed games as a result of this withdraw get forfeit wins (1 point) or byes (no points)? And do I need to record forfeit losses for the offending player for all remaining games left unplayed? In general I cannot find how to handle this situation in the Official Rules of Chess 5th edition or in SwissSys. I was told that perhaps these unplayed games are treated like byes? But I am unable to verify this either. Your help with the USCF rule and SwissSys procedures would be greatly appreciated.

I would choose the forfeit. Does it matter? A zero point bye and a forfeit have the same result. And neither one counts for ratings or prizes.

In general you can edit SwissSys results by showing the wallchart and unlocking the edit mode to indicate the forfeit by first clicking on the picture of the key.

Is the event only USCF rated or both USCF and FIDE rated? Then it will matter.

Ok, so the player withdrawing from a round-robin gets a forfeit for all the remaining unplayed games and their opponents left without a game get forfeit wins? I think in my example this would give 3 players an automatic 1 pt win for not even playing. This does not sound right to me. Any clarification would be helpful.

This situation is why players that withdraw from RRs create such a headache for the other players and the TD. To date no universal solution for this problem has been found. Some TDs find another player with the same approximate rating to take the withdrawn player’s place. Some Organizers/TDs require all players in RR to put up an appearance fee that is refundable upon completion of the scheduled games. For prize purposes only some TDs adjust the withdrawn score(s) for withdrawn player’s opponents in his earlier completed games (Losses are changed to draws and draws are changed to wins). Of course color adjustments are also available for the other RR players depending when the withdrawal occurs (see RR charts).

And even with the ‘1pt win for not even playing’ this is a non-rated game so they don’t get any rating adjustment. It does affect prize standings which stinks but Tim does provide one mechanism for adjusting for this. But I believe this would have to be announced that it would be done (any insight Tim?).

However again if this is a USCF rated tournament then you can look for a replacement player to fill in the missing game. If it’s a FIDE rated tournament, then you can’t do this.

I remember seeing something like this as a rule somewhere, except that the games are changed to forfeit draws and wins, and the actual results are reported in the “Extra rated games” section. I also had to replace a player in a round robin after two rounds. I gave the new player two forfeit losses and moved the games that the original player played to the “extra rated games” section. The crosstable is here.

http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200509054471

Alex Relyea

could you go by percentage of total possible points attained instead of total points?

so everyone finishing all their games would get x/9 points and those missing 1 game would get x/8 points, missing 2 games, x/7 points, etc.