Three Time Repetition Redux

Moderator Mode: Off

I recall people talking of the correct way to claim a threefold repetition. I have some questions regarding the correct way when using an electronic scorekeeping device like my eNotate and the Monroi:

1. When using a written scoresheet, the player making the claim must write down the move, stop the clock, get the TD, and state the claim.

2. What do you do when using the electronic scorekeeping device? Since one cannot make notation of the move before making it, you cannot note it before stopping the clock and getting the TD.

3. In a game I played today, I did announce to my opponent that I was stopping the clock to get the TD to claim the draw. I was down 2 pawns in an endgame. My opponent agreed to the draw, not even considering the threefold repetition.

4. I asked the NTD and he wondered. There is a TD Tip he found that says to contact the USCF office for clarification in this…interesting.

5. Secondarily, can the player review the moves using the board on the display or must he use only the move listing?

This is the exception to the rule that you may not record the move on the electronic scoresheet before making the move on the board. Remember, if the opponent rejects the draw offer or asks the TD to rule first, and the TD does not allow the claim, the player is required to make the move recorded on the scoresheet. Thus, there is no advantage gained by recording the move before executing it on the board. Simply recording the move commits the player to the move.

Your opponent must have understood that all draw claims are first and foremost draw offers, and the first step the TD should take in resolving the draw claim is to ask the opponent whether he agrees to the draw offer. Your opponent just seems to have decided to “cut to the chase” in this case.

It is unclear to me about what the NTD wondered.

The player may not use the board on the display, as this would be tantamount to using a second board for analysis. Clearly, the opponent could just compare positions on the display with that on the actual board.